If I was taken to jail for a domestic, how will this affect my custody case?

I have not been convicted of these crimes but I’m worried that they will take my daughter from me and give the father sole custody. What can I do to prevent this?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you get convicted of the domestic violence charge presently pending against you, the conviction could very well harm the present custody time that you have with your minor child. Given the severity of a negative result if you are convicted of the offense pending against you I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney that has experience in criminal law to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.