What to do if I was suspended indefinitely from my job for using a curse word in a sentence that was not directed toward any person and we were in a closed office?

My employer called the store union rep and told him they were bringing me into the office to demote me when he actually suspended me. I said f#$% this I’m leaving whe my shift is over. My employer called me to work an earlier shift and I complied, even though I was scheduled for a later shift 2 hours befote I was to go home is when this took place. I have worked there for 6 years.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all and the same applies to a suspension. Absent an employment contract or union agreement that covers this situation, your employer can enforce the terms and conditions of your employment as it sees fit. This inlcudes suspending you for the use of foul language. So unless such a suspension violates your comany's own policy or is the result of some form of actionable discrimination, no laws have been broken here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.