If I was supposed to have an adjudication withheld but upon checking my background I don’t believe that is the case, how can I find out for sure?

Asked on April 15, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can go to the court where your case was filed and ask the court clerk for the file.  You CAN'T remove the file from the court, but can read it there, and ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or just the sections of the file you want.

You will need the case number when you ask the court clerk for the file.  If you don't know the case number, you can look it up in the court's computer by looking for your name under defendants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.