What to do if I was summoned to court for a child support hearing but the papers were served at my parent’s house and I do not reside there?

Well my parents didn’t give me the papers until 5 months later, so she won by default. Paternity was never established. Now she’s taking all of my money and I don’t know the first steps to take to get this resolved. I can’t afford a lawyer so please what can I do?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with your local legal aid clinic and/or county bar association to see if there is a program with these organizations to assist you in handling the matter the you are writing about. In essence you need to file a motion to set aside the default that you have written about based upon the fact that you were not properly served with the summons and complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.