Wht to o if I was suing my tenant for small claims and eviction but they were not served because they fled and abandoned the rental?

I’m rying to figure out what will happen in court and if it pays for me to go.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the summons and complaint were served on their last location properly, then you should go and get the default judgment in your favor. That will get you legally possession of the apartment. It may not be worthwhile following up on the small claims matter if you don't have a current (new) address, but you can decide what to about that after getting the default.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.