I was stopped by SD Highway Patrol for driving with a revoked (not suspended) drivers license. I know I will be sentenced to 10-20 days in jail.

Can I ask to serve these days in a different county?

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Criminal Law, South Dakota


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The county that you were in has jurisdiction over you and has an interest in seeing that they enforce the laws in the county.  While there is no harm in asking to serve in another county, i do not think that they will do that in my experience.  I suggest hiring a lawyer to deal with the charge as the lawyer may be able to speak to the state's atty to get them to agree.  unfortunately, you have a better chance at getting this done with a lawyer as opposed to you on your own - thats just how the system is.  Plus, the lawyer may be able to get the time reduced. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.