What to do if I was sold a motorcycle from an estate but found out after it was closed that I need a title issued in the name of the estate to get it transferred to me?

This was my brother’s estate. A bill of sale. letter of authority and death certificate and old registration was not good enough in the eyes of the Secretary of State. Does the personal representative still have the responsibility to correct this matter after the estate is closed?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The transfer of title to the motorcycle needs to go through your state's department of motor vehicles. I suggest that you go down to your local department of motor vehicles to get the necessary form to transfer title to the motorcyle signed and dated by the estate's representative and return it to the department to get the title of the item transferred into your name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.