If I was in a car accident and my hand was broken, what should I settle for?

I’ve been out of work for 2 months. I have to go to an orthopedic doctor about once a month (was going more often). I lost a promotion at work because if this. I’m a single parent of a 8 month old and am staying with my mom for help with the baby. I was wondering what is a reasonable amount I should ask for in the settlement? Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? In Charlotte, NC. 

Asked on August 26, 2011 North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss.  Until you are released by the doctor at the completion of your medical treatment, it would be premature to settle the case because you would not have the total medical bills and total wage loss.  It sounds like you are nearing completion of your medical treatment, since your medical appointments are now only once a month.

Your personal injury claim filed with the at-fault driver's insurance company will consist of the medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to your medical bills.  There isn't any mathematical formula for determining pain and suffering.  I would ask for quadruple the medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering, but not expecting to get that amount.  This would be a starting point in negotiations.  The insurance company will respond with a lower offer and you can continue negotiations to try to increase the amount offered by the insurance company.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, reject the settlement offers and sue the driver who caused the accident for negligence.  If the case is settled with the insurance company, no lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled with the insurance company, you will need to file your lawsuit for negligence against the driver who caused the accident, prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter. 

It would be advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.