If I was served with summons in a debt collection lawsuit and the complaint refers to marital community but I am single, is anyone else liable?

I have a cohabitating partner. The relevant debt events, however, occurred prior to our relationship, and our finances are entirely separate. I intend to deny the existence of any such “marital community” in my response to the complaint. I am inclined to think this is just a scare tactic. The complaint does not even refer to anyone by name (Jane Doe). In what ways can she be made liable? Debts were incurred in one state and the lawsuit was filed in another.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The reason that the complain probably states tht is becuase the creditor or debt collector is not aware of what your marital status is and because Idaho is a community property state so assets and debt can be both partners concerns.  If things are as you say and everything is separate and there is no legal marriage then she can not be made liable for your debt.  But I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your area as soon as possible.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.