What to do if I was served with papers for small claims court?

The paperwork is very confusing, it doesn’t tell me if I have a hearing and/or when it is or if I’m just supposed to pay the debt. If possible I’d just like to pay it and avoid all the extra time and money involved with court. The only paperwork I got was an answer form. I owe the debt and I don’t dispute it and again, I just want to pay it and be done with it. Should I contact the lawyer who filed and arrange to settle outside of court? Should I let it go to court? Do I need to get a lawyer myself? How will I know when the court date is?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

call the lawyer and arrange to pay it.  if it is small claims there is usually a court date on the papers that you received.  a lawyer can help settle it for you- perhaps at a discount.   or if you have a lot of debt, you could consider bankruptcy to eliminate all of it at once for a lot less money

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.