If I was served an eviction notice but paid my landlord and was never evicted, what to o if I am now I’m having trouble renting an apartment?

Also, while trying to rent an apartment I found out that I have some kind of judgement against me from the landlord. However, I was never served and don’t know what it is for. What can I do to clean up my record so that I can find a place to rent?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you go down to the local court house and pull the file pertaining to yourself that you have written about. From what you have written there is a judgment against you and it needs to be paid in full so that you can have a full satisfaction of it filed with the court from which it originates. I suggest that you consult further with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.