What to do if I was served a summons for an accident that I was involved in 2 years ago while driving a company vehicle however I no longer work there?

When I asked for the contact info for their insurance company, it would only pass my info on to the company. What do I need to do to protect myself?

Asked on November 7, 2014 under Accident Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to forward the summons to the company that you worked for by certified mail return receipt requested - or bring a copy down yourself - and ask them for their insurance coverage information at the time of the accident.  I might even say to hire an attorney for this one task.  Getting a letter enclosing the summons and requesting the information may carry more weight.  If you were employed and operating the vehicle with in the scope of your employment then you are covered by their policy even though you do not work there any longer.  They are going to need you to cooperate with them too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.