IfIwas separated from my job just days after from being injured on the job, what are my rights?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean that you were fired after the injury occurred? As long as you were an employee at the time that the injury occurred then you should be covered by the workers compensation insurance for your ex-employer.  Did you file an accident report on the job?  Was their compensation carrier notified? Make sure that you have all of these documents or that you obtain a copy of all of them for the filing of the claim.  Seek help from a qualified compensation attorney in your area just to be sure that everything is done correctly. And ask about unemployment benefits as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.