What to do if I was sent to collections for a hospital bill but been making payments for 1 year and never late, however now a lawyer has been harassing me?

They want payment in full. Can they go in my bank account or garish my wages?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write the lawyer that has been harassing you about your monthly payments on the outstanding debt advising that you have an agreement with the hospital that you are to make monthly payments which you have done so diligently. Advise the lawyer that the contact with you is perceived as being in violation with your state's unfair debt collection practices.

If the lawyer continues to bother you, you will then consult with a consumer law attorney. Keep a copy of this letter for future use and need. If you are bothered in the future, consult with the consumer law attorney as to what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.