What to do if I was scheduled to have a mandatory furlough the a week, however this did not occur but my pay was still reduced bya week?

Asked on August 18, 2011 Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is to bring the discrepancy to the attention of your employer as soon as possible.  Start by bringing in what ever proof you have as to the matter and creating a "paper trail" by documenting everything in writing that happens.  If you are part of a union make sure that the union and the union rep are copied on the letters.  Make sure that personnel is also copied for your employer as well as the union.  Keep a list of whom you talk with and when, whether over the phone or in person, and make sure that you again confirm all conversations in writing.  Good luck to you.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you worked, you must be paid for the work--there is no other choice for your employer. They certainly *could* have furloughed you, if they chose, so long as they were not violating any employment or union agreement, or somehow engaging in illegal discrimination, to do so. However, if they did not furlough, they  must pay you. Possibly, this was an oversight--e.g. payroll did not get the memo that the furlough did not happen--in which case, once you bring it to their attention, they will hopefully arrange for you to be paid. If it was not an oversight, however, then the employer acted improperly and is liable to you for the money. You could sue them for the week's pay, or possibly contact your state's labor department to see if they will help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.