What are my rights if I was riding in a Medicaid van from a doctor’s appointment.and was injured when I fell exiting the vehicle?

This van had a lift to let you on and off bit it broke so I was told to exit the van by a back door. The driver took something out for me to step down on but I fell and hurt both legs. I went to the doctor said nothing broke but you will be sore for a while. How much should I get for pain and suffering?

Asked on November 2, 2013 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

based upon what you have written about you need to consult with a personal injury attorney (or sue in small claims court) concerning the injuries you sustained. Pain and suffering is usually 1.5 times the out of pocket damages of the injured person. If your medical bill was $100, your pain and suffering would be ball parked at $150.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.