If I was riding a friend’s motorcycle that was not insured and crashed causing $4500 in damages but the blue book value is $2165, what do I have to pay?

Am I entitled to the title and motorcycle? They are currently trying to sell it for $400-500 and still want $2165 from me. Isn’t this double dipping? I am now offering to pay the difference of $2165 and $500 for a total of $1665. What are my rights?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


Robert Slim / Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are "legally liable," then you owe the difference between the fair market value of the motorcycle at the time of the accident and the fair market value after the accident ("salvage value").  You cannot legally force them to tender title to the motorcycle.  At the same time, you are not legally obligated to accept title to the motorcycle.  You can try to reach some agreement for them to tender title.  But then you would be responsible for the entire "fair market value" of the motorcycle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.