What are my rights if I was working in a retail location for a large wireless telecommunications company and was robbed at gun point while working but the 2 security cameras that were not functioning?

The previous store I worked at for the same company had the same situation with the same kinds of cameras, and at both locations the management and IT team new that the cameras were not functioning. I was not offered any sort of counseling or paid time off. Is there any legal action that can be taken against this company?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal action against the company
1 The company did not rob you
2 Whether the cameras were working or not would not have stopped the robbery--though perhaps it would have helped capture the robber later--and so did not contribute to any trauma you suffered
As a result of 1 and 2 above, the company is not at fault for your trauma, since it did not cause it.
3 A company has no legal duty or obligation to offer counseling or paid time off for employees who suffer trauma at work not due to the company's fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.