If I was recently ticketed for possession of paraphernalia and plan on requesting a deferred disposition, will this completely clear my record?

Or will I still need to get it expunged in 5 years? I’m trying to be a vet and am so worried I will not be able to now. What is my best option?

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please consult with a criminal attorney in your area.  It is my understanding that expungement is covered under Chapter 55 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure which states that any offense that results in an acquittal or dismissal can be expunged. But any case that results in any form of probation, including deferred adjudication or a final conviction cannot be expunged. In the latter case you would have to appeal to the governor to clean up the criminal record. But there are some exceptions such as a deferred disposition on a Class “C” misdemeanor. If you successfully complete the term of the deferred disposition then the ticket is dismissed and the complaint may be expunged.  Please do not enter in to any plea until you figure this out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.