If I was recently released from a job and am 4 months pregnant but am scared that they will deny me my unemployment, what do I do?

I am not sure where I can find another job with a pregnant belly.

Asked on September 26, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you were not fired "for cause"--that is, for insuborination, violating company policies or a supervisor's instructions, or some other wrong-doing, like fighting or theft at work--you should be eligible for unemployment and this includes even if you were fired for poor performance or a personality clash with a supervisor. If the employer tries to deny you unemployment, you can appeal that denial and have a hearing on the subject.
If you think you were fired because you were pregnant, that is illegal in this case, you can and should contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.
If you look for a new job, employers are not supposed to discriminate against you in hiring because you are pregnant. That also would be illegal discrimination, and you feel that a prospective employer didn't hire you because you are pregnant, you can again file a complaint.
Note there are a small number of positions where you can legally refuse to hire a pregnant woman, but those are where there are obvious safety issues--e.g. an employer doesn't need to hire a pregnant woman to be an X-ray technician or to work with chemicals that can cause birth defects.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.