What can be done if I was recently pulled over for a faulty plate light and arrested for suspended license but there are errors on the paperwork?

There are numerous errors about the events that took place that night. And in the papers, it also says one officer was the arresting while the other was backup but another paper has the officers roles reversed. Is this grounds for dismissal? I mean the cops have a job to do which involves paperwork and if they don’t do their job right, they need to be held accountable just like any other job. If murderers can get off because of a little technicality, why not this case be able for dismissal?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The problem is that you still drove with a suspended license regardless of who did the arresting. You can certainly try to have a lawyer dismiss the charges by suspending the introduction of the report or preventing the officer from testifying because there may be a significant error in that. You can also try to have your counsel petition for those officers' personnel records to see if there is anything about their backgrounds that would explain the role reversal in reports.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.