What to do if I was recently placed on paid administrative leave and the company is performing an internal investigation?

This has never happen to me and this is affecting me a great deal. One of the physician filed a complaint concerning patient safety. I spoke with risk managment and they mentioned that they are looking into the complaint and will also interview me about this. I have only been employed at this place for the past 5-6 months and have not been happy at all. I almost put in my resignation last month and wish that i did. I plan to put my resignation letter during the investigation-since the purpose of the investigation is to determine if I will be terminated or not. I would rather resign than be terminated.

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have a written employment contract which limits grounds for suspension or termination, or which establishes a certain disciplinary process which must be followed, you are an employee at will. As an employee at will, you can be terminated--or suspended, placed on leave, etc.--at any time, for any reason.  Therefore, there is likely nothing you can do, apart from either waiting to see the outcome, or electing to resign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.