If I was recently laid off from my job, can I start an LLC and pay myself the same exact amount that I was making without the state going up on my child support?

I want to start an LLC and pay myself the same exact amount or less. Will the state go up on my child support because of what the LLC makes? Not sure if what I’m asking make sense. I ran into a Lawyers assistant and he started to tell me that if I open up and LLC then whatever the LLC makes can’t get touched by child support. Only what the (my) LLC makes. Is this correct? Or do I have to put the LLC under someone elses name? Or is this even possible?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am confused a bit here.  Are you attempting to create a corporate entity to avoid paying child support on your true income?  Although in theory your proposal would work a good lawyer ywould make an agrument to "pierce the corporate veil" and show the court that you are hiding assets to avoid paying more child support and that you actually have full control or benefit from the LLC income.  I would speak with an actual attorney about the situation as a whole.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.