What can I do if I was recently involved in an auto accident for which I was not at fault but the other driver’s insurer refuses to honor my claim?

The other party claims that I was at fault, so their party insurance company does not want to pay for my car damage. However, I have proof and witnesses to the accident.

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the at-fault party for negligence.  If the driver is someone other than the registered owner of the vehicle, name both the registered owner and the at-fault driver as defendants in your lawsuit for negligence.  If there was a police report of the accident stating that the other party was at-fault, you should obtain that police report.  Whether or not there was a police report, the fact that you have witnesses to the accident provides further evidence in your favor that the other party was at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.