How can I dispute a traffic ticket?

I was recently involved in an accident when someone ran a red light and hit me. The officer on scene did not speak to me about what happened, he only spoke with the other driver. However, I was found to be at fault by the officer for running the light and was given a court date on which I am required to appear to get the ticket. My insurance company has a recorded statement from a witness that saw the accident saying that the other driver ran the red light and hit me. Is there any way I can dispute the ticket in court? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Asked on August 24, 2014 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The best way to dispute the ticket is retain an experienced attorney--one who works on traffic cases in this court and knows the prosecutor and judge. Ultimately, you dispute the ticket by presenting evidence (like that statement) that you did not do what you were accused of--i.e. that you did not run the light. You also defend against the ticket by negotiating ("plea bargaining") with the prosecutor, based on facts favorable to you, to get the ticket reduced, even if you can't get it dismissed entirely. However, it can be difficult for a nonattorney to present evidence in a way the court will accept (and find persuasive) and also negotiate with the prosecutor, which is why you want an experienced local lawyer to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.