What to do if I was recently involved in an auto accident for which I was at fault and had no insurance at the time?

I recieved a letter from the other parties insurance company, but only stated another person was insured but not the drivers name that I was involved in the accident with. I later recieve a letter from morgan and morgan stating he (the driver) is trying to come after me for damages. Mind you he did not have any injuries. As I recieved a letter from DHMV stating I have to send out a release form to him clearing me of any damages. If he refuses to sign I then have to pay $10, 000 or they will suspend my license next month. What can I do to reslove this matter in order to avoid from my license being suspended??

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need a lawyer. If your state requires you to have insurance while driving to insure you and your motor vehicle and you did not have insurance, than you need to have an attorney help you with respect to investigating this person to determine if he is lying about his injuries and to either drop the matter or pay a nominal amount to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.