If I was recently injured at work, am I entitled to compensation due to my employer removing a safety device that would have prevented my thumb from coming into contact with saw blade?

I’m currently receiving worker’s compensation.

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Personal Injury, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are receiving worker's compensation, you most likely cannot sue generally, worker's compensation is an alternative to having to or being able to sue your employer. You get the money more quickly, cheaply withing having to hire an attorney and sue and certainly than with a lawsuit, but the trade off is you lose the ability to sue and are limited to what worker's compensation pays you. You should consult in detail about the specifics of your situation with an attorney with worker's compensation experience to see if there may be a way to sue, but usually, if you get worker's compensation, you can't also sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.