If was recently out of state and cited for alcohol intoxication, is there a way to fight this from home before my hearing in 13 days?

I am over 21, from out of state and this is my first law violation of any kind.I could pay the $174; I know there’s a diversion program. Do I need a attorney to get access to it or can I call ahead? Is this even the best option?

Asked on April 15, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you want to fight the matter that you have written about from out of state then you will need an attorney in the county and state where you were cited to represent you. Otherwise you will need to appear in person. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

You cannot appear in court via telephone in a criminal matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.