I was recently in an accident where I was not at fault but I was uninsured and with a suspended license at the time. The other party and I agreed to not call the cops at the time and settle the matter between ourselves.

We exchanged information and i gave her 100
for the damage on her car. While the accident
wasn’t my fault and my car received way more
damage, I was scared because I knew my
license was suspended. I told her I would help
her pay for the damage on her car and we left it
at that. Now she is demanding money from me
more than what the damage is worth and
threatening legal action if I don’t pay her. Can
she pursue legal action against me if there was
no police report of the accident?

Asked on March 26, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be sued if there was no police report: a police report is not a requirement or prerequisite for being sued. If you were not at fault, she should not be able to get money from you: a driver is only liable (responsible to pay) in an accident to the extent he or she is at fault in causing the accident. If she can convince a court that you were at fault, she can recover from you all costs or damages you caused her, less the $100 you already paid her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.