If I was recently given a stay of adjudication for a petty larceny charge, is the store that I stole from still allowed to seek monetary reimbursement?

My record will be cleared of the charges. The place that I shoplifting from is now seeking reimbursement for about $500. If I do not pay they are threatening me with a civil lawsuit.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, Nevada


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Perhaps.  Most states have statutes that allow a store to seek civil damages for the theft even if the property is recovered. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.