What can I do if I was recently fired from a job as a para at a public school after 2 weeks for a bad CORI check due to something I was falsely accused and which was later dismissed?

The incident happened around 2 years ago. I met with the superintendent to explain the situation and he basically told me he didn’t care. This week my fingerprint results came back and were clean but still he refuses to let me return to work. I feel that I’m being punished and discriminated against for something I didn’t do and have no control over. I was wondering if I have a case and should I try and file a lawsuit?

Asked on September 18, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The problem for you is that unless you had a written employment contract or were subject to a union/collective bargaining contract, you were an employee at will. An employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever, including, for example, accusations which were later dismissed. If you were an employee at will, you had no rights to your employment, and could lose it even for unfair reasons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.