What an I do about being neglected by my mother?

I was recently hospitalized for several weeks. When I was released they let myself and my mom know that I would have dizzy spells and heart problems due to the severity of my condition and that I had a history of high blood pressure. They were adiment about making sure I had someone at home to take care of me. It was important that if I was to walk long distances (anything farther than one room to the next) that I was to have someone with me to stand by me in case I lost my balance or anything. My mom agreed to take care of me, but often neglects helping me walk while in public and has left me in parking lots miles from her home (where I am staying) and sometimes emotionally abuses me until I cannot breathe. Do I have a case?

Asked on August 6, 2014 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Are you an adult? If so, you  have no case: the law does not require *any* adult, even a parent, to provide care for another adult, or to be nice (i.e. not abusive) to another adult. The law does not impose any duty on your mother; therefore, there is no cause of action against her. If you need a caregiver and family is not reliable, you need to hire someone (e.g. a nurse's aide) to help you; you cannot sue your family for not being reliable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.