If I was recently charged with an underage drinking, is there any way that I can get this to not show up on any record of mine?

I was in a car that was pulled over and the girl got a DUI and I said I had a couple drinks. I was told I would be receiving a citation in the mail.

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek legal help as soon as you can.  New Jersey - like all the states - has cracked down on underage drinking and in some instances the penalties are very stiff.  At a minimum you could be charged with a violation of a municipal ordinance.  At the maximum, well, let's just say the fine and penalty can be stiff.  You are going to need some one to help negotiate the matter down.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.