I was recently arrested in Los Angeles, CA for my 2nd DUI. I was on a medication that affects the level of alcohol in your blood. Should I hire a lawyer?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely need to hire an attorney, ideally an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer, with this matter. DUIs are serious offenses, and the second charge means that any break you got on the first charge will not be afforded to you.

If you have a legitimate defense concerning prescribed medication, it needs to be properly set forth with proper evidence and may require motions. If you try and explain these issues without a DUI attorney, you may not have it properly addressed and it may not be considered. Contact a DUI lawyer in Los Angeles, CA. In the meantime, get a breakdown of your medications and get a letter from your doctor or pharmacist that the medications prescribed are contraindicated when taken with alcohol and may enhance the symptoms of intoxication. Your DUI attorney is definitely going to want this information


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.