What are my rights if I was rear-ended at 30 mph and suffered neck and back injuries?

The other driver’s insurer covered the hospital bill but isn’t going to cover the prescriptions. Is this normal?

Asked on February 24, 2013 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to be "made whole."  If you lost days of work, had to go to therapy, and had other expenses associated with the injury, then you can receive reimbursement for those expenses.   If you are likely to continue to have pain or some type of disability going forward, then you could be entitled to additional compensation for pain and suffering or for future lost earning capacity.  It sounds like the company may be trying to take advantage of you while you do not have counsel.  If you want to know the true value of your case and what all you should be compensated for, visit with a couple of personal injury attorneys.  Many offer free consulations and visiting with more than one will give you a better idea of what the judge or juries are likely to award in your case.  You may also want to visit with your insurance company--- your policy may provide additional coverage or support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.