If I was rear-ended in an auto accident and had personal injuries, what do I do?

I called the claim into my insurance company but the responsible party has not called in his claim yet. It has been 5 days. The insurance adjustor is suggesting that I file everything under my policy and they will just transfer it over to the responsible party. The crash report shows that he admitted that he was at fault. Should I hire an attorney?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to make a claim with the responsible party's insurance company for your personal injuries, which include your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.  You should also be treating your medical injuries and taking care of health.  It would be best for you to consult with an attorney who specializes in personal injury.  Handling a claiim like this on your own can be difficult.  Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.