I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver.Do I need to appear in court?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Accident Law, Illinois


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Why would you need to appear in court?  Did the police give you a citation for being in violation of the law?  It sounds like the other guy was at fault.  You should just make a claim for damages with your own insurance company to have your car taken care of, and your insurer will try to get reimbursement from the responsible driver.  You would only need to go to court if you sue the other driver and it goes to trial.  Most cases do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.