What to do if I was rear-ended by a car and the other driver and I exchanged information but they have not returned any of my efforts to contact them?

Is there anything I can do?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can submit the matter to your own insurance carrier and see if they can help you with handling repairs.  It is possible you are dealing with an uninsured motorist situation and if you have uninsured motorist coverage with your own policy, this would be the way to go.  You can also contact the police and make a report if you have not already.  Lastly, you can sue the other driver, but keep in mind when filing a lawsuit there are costs involved and you have to consider how likely it is that you can recover anything from the other driver if you prevail in a lawsuit.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.