If I was rear-ended in a car accident and was hurt but the other driver was uninsured, what can I do?

I was rear-ended at a stoplight the person who hit me was either asleep or looking at something inside his car. My vehicle was badly damaged and I was transported from the scene to the local hospital. After hours in the ER and several radiology tests, I was released with bruises, contusions and was sore for several days. I missed 2 days of work and have medical bills for those few hours of over $6000. The person who hit me never spoke to me or even acknowledged me the day of the accident. I assume it was because he didn’t have insurance. I have tried calling him with no response and sent a letter that was refused and returned. I’m sure this happens often. in your experience are these situations usually a waste of time?

Asked on February 17, 2016 under Accident Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have uninsured motorist coverage then since you were injured, you could file a separate personal injury claim as an uninsured motorist claim through your insurer. You can also file a property damage claim for cost of repairs to your car. If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party. If you sue win, you can obtain a judgment, which can be enforced with a wage garnishment and/or lien on their property. However, if they have don't have sufficient income or assets to pay a judgment then you must bear the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.