If I was punched in the face by a resident at work, what do I do?

Work at an assisted living home. They let a mentally challenged man in and he does not belong there. He is violent and cries and screams almost 24/7. The other day he punched me for no reason and I got a bloody, fat, bruised lip. Who should I call, what can I do? I am desperate; I don’t want to work at a place where I feel unsafe, but I need the money. I reported it, and they said all I could do was put ice on it. There is many other unsafe things at this job. Including lack of gloves, cockroaches, etc.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the agency in your state who regulates and handles the investigation of assisted living facilities. You need to contact the Office of the State Attorney General, file a complaint or explain what occurred and find out if your state has whistleblower protection laws. In the interim, you need to begin looking elsewhere for employment (quietly albeit) and contact the health department and see if it has any oversight over portions of this facility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.