What should I do if I was cited for possession of drug paraphenalia?

I was pulled over and the cop asked me if I had anything in the car. I told him that I had a pipe so I handed it over to him. He wrote me a citation and it says I have to appear in court. I just don’t know what to expect. Also, I am planning on going into the military. What should I expect when I go to court? Is this charge going to mess my future with the military up?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your citation is similar to a speeding ticket citation and most military recruiters will give it the same weight.  However, the final decision will be the recruiters' and their policies.  I've seen quite a few people join with worse offenses.  Call your recruiter and see what their policy is.  Sometimes the recruiter will be willing to give you a letter that you are going into the military-- with this letter, some DA's office will let you do a divert agreement, which means that you complete a mini probation, but your charges are dismissed at the end.  If your recruiter is not worried about the charges, then just show up to court and pay the associated fine. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.