What can I do if I was pulled over and used my sister’s name to try to get out of a ticket but they ended up giving me several traffic infraction but in her name?

I was driving my son’s car to a mechanic when I got pulled over. The car didn’t have insurance and had a suspended registration. I did not know this when I agreed to take his car to the mechanic. So I figured because my sister is married to a retired police captain, I’d used her name to try to get out of it. However, I ended up getting tickets in her name, which I didn’t mean to get. How can I fix this situation? Should I go to court on the day the ticket says and tell the judge it was me and not her?

Asked on September 3, 2018 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Retain a lawyer--NOW--and don't say anything to anyone, or do anything, without following the lawyer's advice. You committed identity theft. You interfered with a police investigation. You provide false information to the police. In short, you committed a number of crimes each of which is far more serious than the traffic offenses you committed. Hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.