What to do if I was pulled over a while ago for a speeding ticket and was late paying the fine?

I went to court to try and fight it using the “forgiveness law” but they said I was going too fast and so it did not apply. So I had to pay the ticket; I paid the majority sum up front and then was to pay the difference by a certain date. There was miscommunication and computer issues and I missed the payment by 1 day. Then I was pulled over to came and find out that my license was suspended. The reason was becuse I was a day late when I thought I was on time. Now I have a ticket for driving on a suspended and have to pay a reinstatement fee. I never knew I wasn’t square since I paid the correct amount in time (or what I was told) and once I did find out from the police officer got it taken care of right away.

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Rhode Island


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You really have two basic options.  The first is to simply pay the fines and move on.  Your second option is to challenge the second offense on the basis that you were given the wrong due date for the balance of the payment.  You can contest it on your own or you can hire an attorney to help you.  Many attorneys will offer assistance with these types of offenses for a fairly inexpensive fee.  Talk to a couple of attorneys and then make a decision about which will be more cost-effective immediately (i.e. paying fine vs. attorney) and in the long run (impact of another ticket on your insurance premiums). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.