What can I do legally if I was prescribed medication but experienced some discomfort when using it and when I called my doctor I found out that I was prescribed the wrong drug?

it cost me over $300.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As a practical matter, you probably can't do anything. Prescribing the wrong medicine can be malpractice, since it can represent medical carelessness. The problem is that a medical malpractice suit costs far more than $300, since you need expert medical testimony; but all you can recover is your actual out-of-pocket losses or costs (unless you suffered some serious or long-lasting injury from the wrong prescription, in which case you may be entitled to pain and suffering compensation, too). Thus, you'd spend far more trying to recover this money then you'd actually get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.