If I was originally charged with a DUI and was ordered to take some counseling classes but I am unable to pay for them, can I get sent to jail?

I have been keeping up with my fines that I was ordered to pay but I’ve fallen behind on some payments but I always get cought up. I am scheduled to apear before the judge and explain the reason I haven’t taken the classes yet.

Asked on March 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


V. Iyer / Iyer Law Office, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes. But if the Judge finds that you can prove true inability to pay for these classes he may extend your probation. Have all your records to show that it was impossible to pay for these classes on the income you have. Have the records in a neat statement with proof to show your inability to pay. Let the PO and DA know of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.