What to do about harrassment at work?

I was on my job for 7 years with no write-ups. I got a new supervisor and for some reason she didn’t like me. I began to get write-ups on the norm. I would go in to work and she would constantly change my work schedule and take my day off; she even went so far that she scheduled me to work 2 weeks straight without a off day (10 hour shifts). I went to the assistant warden which was her supervisor but he did nothing to help me; he must have told her that I came to him because her attitude toward me got even worse. I could not go to the head warden because she was dating him. I end up going to the doctor who tried to send me to a therapist to talk to; he diagnosed me with depression and stress all this for work. I ended up not returning to work because nobody tried to help me with this problem. I want to know is there any legal help for me.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were being harassed at work and not getting the support needed at work where you have doctor's orders to not return to work you need to consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor as to your situation and what your legal recourse may be.

You may also be able to submit a worker's compensation claim as well. For that, you need to consult with a worker's compensation attorney as well.

Key is getting documentation by your treating physician setting forth the problems that you have physically setting forth the cause for the issues you have.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.