What to do if I was on my bicycle on a main road when a truck came out of a side street and hit me and now their insurer has called me but the guy who hit me wants to talk without using the insurance company?

Asked on October 1, 2015 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you're already in touch with the insurer, it's probably better to work through them if you come to a settlement with the insurer, they will honor it, whereas often, if you come to a settlement with a private person, he or she will fail to pay some or all of it. And remember if you don't come to a satisfactory settlement, you always have the right to sue you sue the driver, not the insurer for smaller amounts, you often use in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, to save lawyer's fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.