What to do if I was on a deed to a property with my mother and was removed?

A quitclaim deed was filed stating there was a power of attorney so my mother could put the property in her name. I requested all pertinent documents but there is no copy of the POA attached to the quitclaim deed removing me. The Quitclaim deed was notorized but the notary is a personal friend of hers. Should the POA been attached to the Quitclaim deed when filed by the county? I also show the county does not have any POA on file pertaining to this issue. Do I have any legal recourse on this matter?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would have had to have been a POA for YOU to remove your name.  You realize that, correct?   And if you did not sign a POA giving another the power to transfer rela property in your name then the transfer is fraudulent and you need to seek legal help is setting the transfer aside.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.