What to do if I was offered a job with 100% employer paid medical after 90 days, but now after 7 months and my employer has not given it to me?

My employer has not given me my medical coverage and HR provided no answers. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Employers are not required to provide medical coverage or insurance. And even if they did previously do so, they may discontinue doing so. So you would only have a claim against your employer to force them to provide this coverage (or provide monetary compensation in lieu of coverage) if--

1) You have an employment contract which guarantees you this coverage; or

2) You did something significant to your detriment--typically, leaving an existing job or relocating--to take this job specifically because of the offer of medical coverage and your employer knew, before you actually did so, that you would do this but knowing it, made the offer anyway; in this event, you may be able to enforce the promise of coverage under the theory of "promissory estoppel."

If you think you can enforce the promise under 1) or 2), speak with an employment law attorney about the situation. Otherwise, though, you most likely have no enforceable rights in this regard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.