If repair information on a vehicle that I purchsed was not disclosed to me and it has required multiple trips to the mechanic, what are my rights?

The vehicle has a history of major mechanical work, including being sold at auction. However the major mechanical work was not on the vehicles carfax. When I went to purchase the vehicle, the day of while at the dealership I requested the car history report. It was never presented to me. When I left I was in the shop 3 days later and the problem has continued for 30 days. I recently met with the dealership and requested a trade. The dealership was unwilling to purchase the vehicle back for the price I purchased it from them 30 days previously. The dealership was also unwilling to trade the vehicle.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under General Practice, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the car dealership knew about the problems that you are writing about with respect to the car that you purchased but did not disclose such to you before the purchase, you have a factual and legal basis to cancel (rescind) the purchase of it.

Proving such ordinarily can be a difficult thing to do. If the dealership's representative refuses to cancel the purchase of the vehicle where you get your money back, you should consult with an attorney experienced in automotive law to advise you how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.